This is one of my fav Gujarati recipe so far.I learned this recipe from one of my Gujarati friend who made and and brought it to our temple.It was so yummy and crispy,it was like love at first bite ...lol....I am sure you all will love this recipe,it is so easy to make and tastes delicious.This recipe is adapted from Showmethecurry.com.
Even though the recipe says to Broil for 10 minutes do check the oven after 5 minutes.You don;t want it to burn :)..
Recipe from Showmethecurry
Long Grain Rice – 1 cup (200 gms)
Channa Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Toor Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Urad Daal – 1 heaping Tbsp
Yogurt – 1/2 cup (150 gms)
Green Chilies – 2 – 3 or to taste, finely chopped or ground
Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
Garlic Paste- 2 tsp (approx 3 large cloves)
Opo/Bottlegourd/Doodhi/Lauki – 1.5 cup, shredded and packed ( approx 12 oz)
Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Eno Fruit Salt – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp (divided)
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Wash Rice and all Daals and soak them for at least 4-6 hours.
2. Drain water from Rice/Daal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt (if possible, do not add any additional water while grinding). Food processor or blender may be used.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, add batter from above and mix in the following: Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Ajwain, Turmeric Powder and Doodhi/Lauki. Mix well.
4. In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil slightly. Add Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Add this Oil mixture to the above batter and mix well.
5. Cover and let this batter rest for 6-7 hours or overnight (no need to refrigerate).
6. Add Eno Fruit Salt and mix well to make the batter foamy.
7. Divide batter into greased muffin pan or pour int a greased cake pan.
8. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds over the top of the batter.
9. In a small skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp Oil.
10. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop. Switch off stove.
11. Add Asafoetida to the oil.
12. Drizzle this oil seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds.
13. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
14. Remove foil and broil on High for approx 10 minutes until a light golden crust forms.
15. Let the handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before eating.