Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vanilla Pistachio Eggless Ice Cream


When i was a kid i used to experiment a lot of food like making cake in pressure cooker,making north Indian food...My dad was my guinea pig. He enjoyed all my experiments and he used to encourage me a lot. One day he got me a recipe for ice cream,which he got from his Friend who had a bakery. My Dad also got me the stuff needed to make the ice cream. So i followed the recipe and made ice cream. It was a gelatin based recipe .We poured the ice cream mix in the milma ice cream balls and when i took it out after it was set,some thing was not right. Ice cream was wiggly and jiggly like jello. May be i put too much of gelatin,don't know why. There ended my ice cream experimenting.
But after looking at Archy's mango ice cream and Ramya's ice cream recipes ,i was Drooling. So yesterday with my son's help we made the ice cream. Good thing about this ice cream is that you don't need the fancy ice cream maker and eggs.
I got this recipe from a website long time back. I don';t remember the site. But it was for a Vanilla ice cream. I jazzed it up with some pistachio and some food colouring. Here is the recipe


Ingredients:

Milk-1/2 cup

Condensed Milk- 1 can [140z]

Heavy whipping cream-2 cups

Salt-1/4 tsp

Clear Vanilla-1 tbs[ I used Wilton Clear

Vanilla]

Toasted Unsalted Pistachios-1/2 cup grinded

coarsely without the skin

Green food colouring - a drop[optional]

Method:

In a hand mixer whip the heavy whipping cream

until stiff peak.

In a stainless steel bowl mix together

condensed milk,milk,vanilla and salt.

Gently fold in the whipped cream to the milk

mixture.Add the food colouring and the

pistachio. Mix well.

In a stainless steel container with a lid,pour

the mixture and freeze it.Take it out and stir

2 times in a 2 hour interval. [ie, If you made

the ice cream at 1.00 stir at 3.00 and again at

5.00.].Let it set for 3 more hours or

overnight.Scoop it with an ice cream scooper.

Enjoy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...Dhanz...looks so good! Bookmarked it to try out. best part is,it doesnt need a icecream maker. Wanted to ask you that stainless steel vessel which is used...does the lid have to be airtight or can we just cover the vessel with a thali?

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Thank you yaar. We all enjoyed it very much. It was delicious.It will be good if you use a stainless steel with a lid or try to make it air tight with a plastic wrap.Then put a thali.The reason why stainless steel is used is coz it maintains the cold temperature well compared to the plastic ones when it is in the freezer.

Shama Nagarajan said...

wow...lovely yummy delicious icecream....perfect for summer in india...

Priya Suresh said...

Wow lovely combination...ICe cream ooks oo good!!!will try surely for coming summer!!

Deepa Hari said...

Wow...yummy ice cream Dhanya...love the fact that it needs no icecream maker....recipe is simple too.

Rajee said...

Everyone including me shouldnot miss ur drolling and yumicious ice-cream which is quiet easy to make without egg. So drolling and pls send me atleast one scoope of ice cream as sh.. sh.. sh..I'm quiet very lazy here with cold climate, Dhanya. Will anyone read my comments? Should I keep it secret.

Preety said...

wow your ice cream looks so good..so much better than the store bought ones..we love ice creams..i never tried making at home but your recipe sounds easy and yummy too..will give this one a try..hey from where do you buy condensed milk??

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Thank you Shama,Deepa,Rajee and preety.
Preety you can get the condensed milk from Indian stores, Walmart,lion or Safeway.
Hey Rajee i would be happy to send you some ice cream ,but by the time it reaches there it will be melted:).Come over i will make you some.

Anonymous said...

Yummy looking ice cream Dhanya... I have a similar kind of experience in icecream experimenting... Anyway, I'm sure I cant be successful as you :)

Dhanya Ganesh said...

Thanks Priya. Come on ,I am sure this time it will be a success. Try it out.